Facebook does not let you delete the account easily. Why should you delete the account? Isn’t deactivating it enough? No. Because ‘deactivating’ a Facebook account only means you are out of it temporarily. To exit Facebook totally, you have to delete the account.
Recent events, or just the general state of social media, might have you contemplating a break from Facebook. But if having your data mined for political purposes without your permission skeeves you out, there are ways to extricate yourself from the massive social network.
If you’re ready for a social media break, here’s how to delete Facebook.
How to delete or deactivate a Facebook account – what’s the difference?
- You can reactivate your account whenever you want
- People can’t see your Facebook Timeline, or search for you
- Some information may remain visible (like messages you’ve sent)
- Facebook saves your account info (like friends and interests) in case you reactivate
But deleting your account is a much more serious matter. If you delete your account:
1. Go to your settings page. Alternatively, you can click the arrow in the top-right corner and access your settings from there:
2. On the left, you’ll have a list of settings available. Click on Your Facebook Information > Delete Your Account and Information:
3. A page will appear with suggestions for deactivating your account or downloading your information. If you aren’t interested in either of these options, click on Delete Account:
4. You’ll be prompted to enter your password. Do it, then click on Continue:
5. And that’s it! If you wish to cancel the deletion, you have 30 days to log into your account and click on Cancel Deletion. Otherwise, you just need to be patient for a month, before your Facebook account is permanently erased.
If you’ve tried deleting a Facebook account before, you probably remember it as a needlessly confusing process, involving a lot of back-and-forth between the help center and well-hidden settings. That’s no longer the case, as Facebook has made it much easier to close your account in just a few simple steps.
What’s more, you don’t have to worry about accidental logins automatically canceling the deletion process. You have to confirm that yourself now (check step 5 above).